Every year at this time we enter into a holiday season in Cambodia called Pchum Ben. It is a time of remembrance of ancestral spirits and an opportunity for individuals to earn merit by offering food at the Wat (temples). For the next several days leading up to the actual holiday Cambodians will be preparing offerings, spending time with family and going to temples in honor of their ancestral spirits who wander between heaven and hell until they are reborn into another life. This is typically a dark time as demonic activity is rampant, and spiritual warfare is heightened. For Khmer Christians there is a lot of pressure to participate in ceremonies and traditions associated with the holiday which are incompatible with their Faith in Christ. Would you pray with us during this season? Pray specifically for our Khmer Brothers and Sisters in Christ that they would have courage, protection and discernment as they prayerfully consider how they might honor Christ and testify of the Gospel to their families.
There is a very real spiritual battle taking place, regardless of where we live (Ephesians 6:10-20) and as Christians we have a very real enemy (I Peter 5:8). We prepare for battle with confidence though (Isaiah 41:10) knowing that victory comes through Christ (Revelation 12:10-12)!
We are encouraged, in the midst of the battle, by all that God is doing. Thank you for standing with us through your prayers and support. Here are a few praises and prayer from this side of the world:
- Praise God for the new SMC (Shalom Mission Cambodia) church plant just outside Phnom Penh among factory workers/migrants.
- Praise God for a healthy transition back to Cambodia for our entire family…we are so grateful for the time we had stateside but thrilled to be back on the Field!
- Pray for the SMC school of ministry that will kick off in October which will focus on training (discipling) lay leaders.
- Pray for Daren as he transitions into his role as Associate International Director with ACTION; he will be traveling to visit the Action Uganda Team October 16-23.
- Pray that the paperwork for Judah Lopez would be processed quickly which would allow BJ and Andrea to furlough with their boys in the States.
- Pray for good quality friends for each of our kids and for us to faithfully encourage them to lean on Christ who is the Friend who is always there.
Daren and Jodi